Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Definitely not tomato soup out of a can.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 soft corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- diced avocado
- sliced black olives
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat; add in the onion and celery; cover and cook about 5 minutes until softened.
- Transfer the vegetables to a 4-quart slow cooker; add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the tortillas; place the tortillas in a lightly oiled skillet; cook until crisp on both sides; cut into strips and set aside.
- Shortly before time to serve, stir in lime juice, parsley, cilantro, cumin, and tequila.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor, or puree directly in the slow cooker using an immersion blender.
- Taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the tortilla strips and avocado and olives; serve hot.