Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One stack is a hearty meal; use a pizza cutter to cut into wedges for smaller appetites. For a more mellow flavor, saute the onions and red bell peppers.
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups picante sauce
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- sliced ripe olives (to garnish)
- Fry tortillas in oil until lightly crisp.
- Pat dry on paper towels.
- Heat oven to 375*F.
- Spread refried beans on 4 tortillas.
- Place tortillas on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Place a second tortilla on top of each of the tortillas with beans.
- Evenly divide onions, chilies, Monterey jack cheese and peppers and sprinkle on second tortilla layers.
- Cover with third tortillas.
- Sprinkle this layer with cheddar cheese.
- (Can be prepared ahead up to this point) Pour picante sauce over top of each stack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer each stack to individual plates.
- Just before serving, top with a tablespoon of sour cream and garnish with black olives.
This was very good and pleased the family. I've made it twice so far. I just use a tiny bit of oil, since the tortillas puff up from the high heat of the skillet. Make sure not to leave too long in the oven since they toughen up. Thanks MarieAlice for posting. Roxygirl
I loved this!!! I heated my refried beans 1st to make for easier spreading.. really enjoyed my lunch very yummy