Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
When DH first started teaching school in Arizona, money was extremely tight. I went to the library to check out various cookbooks to give me ideas. This recipe came from The Crockery Cook and I changed a couple things to suit our family's tastes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Crumble 1/4 of ground beef into bottom of slow cooker. Top with 1/4 of tortilla wedges.
- In small bowl - combine soup and taco mix. Spread 1/4 soup mixture over tortillas in crockpot.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of tomatoes.
- Repeat layering until all meat, tortillas, soup mixture and tomatoes are in pot.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Spoon onto individual plates.
- Top each serving with sour cream, lettuce and green onions.
- Add sweet red pepper and avocado if desired.
Very nice crock pot dish. I did add some refried beans which were thinned with a little water so that I could spread them over the tortilla wedges before adding the cheese mixture. Oh, I also used my own Mexican seasoning blend as we prefer it over the packaged taco seasoning. Before placing on the table I topped each serving with lettuce, fresh chopped tomato, sour cream, green onion, cilantro and sliced black olives. The dinner was enjoyed by all, and it will be added to our busy day rotation. Thanks for sharing Chef on the Coast. Made and reviewed for the 26th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.