Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
The tortillas in this recipe are crisped 'dry'. You could also spray them with a little olive oil and crisp that way. More calories, but also more taste.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained,chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 6 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup cubed red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cubed yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cubed celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 3⁄4 lb thinly sliced smoked turkey breast, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 7 6-inch corn tortillas, diameter cut into ¼ inch wide strips
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 tblsp garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano, cumin and dried red pepper.
- Simmer until thick, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Puree mixture in processor.
- Set aside.
- Pour broth into Dutch oven; bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Add carrots, bell peppers and celery; cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add zucchini; cook 3 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture and turkey.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line large baking sheet with foil.
- Spray foil with vegetable oil spray.
- Arrange tortilla strips on prepared sheet.
- Bake until crisp and golden, turning once, about 18 minutes.
- Combine cilantro, lemon peel and 2 tsps minced garlic in bowl.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Serve with tortilla strips, cilantro mixture, cheese, sunflower seeds and lemon as garnishes.