1/2 Photos of Tortilla Soup With Chicken & Veggies
During our first storm of the season, I decided to make Tortilla Soup. I had never made it before. I found a recipe to work from, added and omitted a few things, and came up with this. It was a hit. Most of the things I cook are too spicy for some people, but I think this turned out perfect. My local grocery store offers freshly cut raw chicken and veggies, specifically for fajitas. It is a perfect way to cheat on the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced (include the leaves)
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (I used Swanson)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (I used S&W)
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (1 -1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and cut into small pieces
- 1 (8 -10 count) package corn tortillas, torn (I used a corn or wheat blend, they are soft and delicious)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla chips, crumbled
- 1Start off by stir-frying the first five ingredients in the olive oil.
- 2Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and add the Rotel, tomatoes, olives, black beans and corn.
- 4Stir in the taco seasoning.
- 5Add the cooked chicken, making sure the pieces aren’t too big.
- 6Add the cut tortillas while stirring.
- 7Relax while simmering the soup for 10-20 minutes.
- 8Serve the soup in bowls, topped with the shredded cheese and crumbled chips. For extra flair, place some sliced avocados, cilantro leaves, and/or tomato slices on the top.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Soup With Chicken & Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.6
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.1 mg
- Sodium 1278.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 22.5 g