Recipe by Tres Piernas Hombre
A quick and tasty soup that is fast and simple. Double the recipe and freeze it for later.
Top Review by Ktype
This is a great recipe, easy to make. The WHOLE family loved it, all three fussy opinionated teenagers included! I added an extra 8 ounces of chicken breasts and served with french bread. Next time I'll fry more tortillas. Everyone looks forward to having it again.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 16 ounces salsa (any heat type desired)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup of shredded cheese (optional)
- 2 chipotle chiles (optional)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- sprinkle ceyenne pepper on chicken breast and sautee in frying pan and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter over a medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion and cumin and cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in broth, salsa and corn.
- Shred and add chicken.
- Bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simer 20 minutes.
- Heat skillet to medium and add oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until browned and crisp.
- serve and top with tortilla strips, cheese and sour cream.