Recipe by ChipotleChick
I love tortilla soup, and this one is really simple to make. Let me know what you think! Prep and cook time does not include the preparation of the tortilla strips.
Top Review by AmbyDawn
This is almost the exact recipe for tortilla soup that I use, and I feel that it's the best! Not only is it easy, but it tastes great! The few subs I make are to use fresh (but soft) plum tomatoes, 1/2 white onion and 3 whole serrano peppers rather than flakes (I like things HOT). Honestly, though I know there are many different varieties of tortilla soup around, this is one of the most authentic tasting. When I studied in Mexico, I never had tortilla soup with lots of flashy stuff in it, simplicity is the key. Anyway, thanks for passing along my fave soup recipe.
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 3 sliced green onions
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- oil, to use (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry tortillas in 250 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Cut each in half, and then cut the halves into thin strips.
- Fry in 1" of hot oil.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Combine broth, water, tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, cumin, and red pepper in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, simmer about 5 minutes, until just cooked through.
- Stir in onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide tortilla strips eveny as a garnish for each serving of soup!