Tortilla Soup - Spicy & Fresh
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers or 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pasilla chiles or 1 anaheim chili, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, crushed or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups faux chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lime, juice from
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 white corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- salt, to taste
- 2 avocados, cut into small chunks
- 4 tablespoons nondairy sour cream (optional)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until golden.
- In a blender, purée the onion, garlic, peppers, and half the can of tomatoes.
- Transfer the purée, along with the remaining half can of crushed tomatoes and the broth, to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil for frying in a heavy pot over medium-high heat or in a deep-fryer (you could even bake them with just the salt). Add the tortilla strips and fry until golden brown. Transfer the strips to a paper-towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Just before serving, add 2 teaspoons salt and the lime juice to the soup and stir. Divide the avocado chunks into four soup bowls, ladle the soup over them, and garnish each with 1 tablespoons nondairy sour cream, fried tortilla strips, green onions, and cilantro. Serve immediately.