Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from my mom's cooking book. I think it might taste good!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups) or 1 (1 lb) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into bite-size
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and sauté the onion and garlic, until the onion is soft- about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, increase the heat to moderate and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Stir in chicken stock, marjoram and hot red sauce; bring the soup to boiling and cook, uncovered for 1 minute.
- At this point the tortilla soup can be cooled to room temperature and stored. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container for up to 4 days. Freeze in labeled, 1 quart freezer bag (2 servings) for up to 3 months.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish.