Recipe by kitchendiva
A full flavored soup I found in Cooking Light magazine years ago. It can be frozen in smaller portions prior to adding the tortillas and cilantro. I have also added grilled chicken strips at the end to make it more hearty. It's easy and has a great flavor!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 oz.)
- 2 cans tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cans beef broth
- 2 cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 flour tortillas, cut into 1/2 inches
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, peppers and garlic in oil in a large Dutch oven until tender; add next 9 ingredients; Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add 3/4ths of tortilla strips, cilantro and shredded cheese; Simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining tortilla strips.