Recipe by QdobaMexGrill
Tortilla soup has become a staple for Tex Mex restaurants. It is a great way to begin a meal, or to serve as a main dish with the addition of rice and meat. The tortilla soup at Qdoba has earned a reputation for being a perfect fit for a Craft 2 combination, the foundation of our Mexican Gumbo, or as a belly-warming midday meal.
Top Review by Linky
Very yummy! I am a wimp about heat, so omitted the jalapeno and there was still plenty of nice heat from the poblano. I oven fire-roasted my own roma tomatoes from our garden. I might consider adding some shredded chicken or those pre-cooked chicken strips to make it more of a main dish soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup poblano pepper, diced into half-inch pieces
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, ground
- 2 cups fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart saucepot over medium heat add oil, onions, and poblanos and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- In blender, place broth and tortillas, and puree until just about smooth.
- Add blended mixture to pot along with fire roasted tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes on medium-low heat. Season to taste and serve with garnish.
- Try out the Qdoba Chefs’ recommended garnishes: 1 tbs. tortilla chips, crushed; 1 tbs. zucchini, diced in ½” pieces; 2 avocados, thinly sliced; 1 tsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped.