Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick and easy soup that can easily accommodate vegetarian diets.
Make and share this Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium chopped Spanish onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- chicken piece (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 3 limes, juiced
- tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 avocado, chuncked
- 3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- Saute onion and garlic in oil till onions are translucent. Add spices (except salt) and stir a few minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and salt (and chicken if desired). Cover and cook till tomatoes soften. Add stock.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and more salt to taste.
- Pour in a bowl over crumbled tortilla chips. Top with cheese, cilantro, and avocado chunks.