Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from Momma Pat's cookbook. It is very good with chicken added, but I am adding it here as is, just with beans.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) canned diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tortilla chips (crushed)
- chopped green onions or sliced avocados or chopped fresh tomatoes or low-fat sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- Place all ingredients up to the crushed tortilla chips in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add tortilla chips, mix cover, turn off heat, and allow to rest for about 10 minutes, or until chips have dissolved in the soup. Serve with garnishes.
Cut this down for three of us and there was still plenty...of course we had sandwiches to go along (too much at one time). I did add a little jalapeno and some chicken along with the other ingredients. I topped the soup with green onions, some shredded cheddar cheese and chopped avocados...DELICIOUS. Thank you for a wonderful dish. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
Very good soup! And yes, it would be good with chicken too, but it's plenty hearty without it. It'll make a great recipe for a busy, nothing-in-the-fridge kind of day. I added salt and pepper and didn't put the tortilla chips in the pan, as I was transporting the soup across the city, to my cousin's house and I didn't want them to turn to mush before we sat down to eat. We all just crushed up a few in our bowls.The only change I would make next time is to add more chili powder, for a little extra kick. Thanks for sharing Momma Pat's recipe, Jonesy! Made and enjoyed for Spring 2011 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :)