Recipe by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
A delightful, creamy, with a little kick tortilla soup. No using canned anything here! Easy soup to put together, with items on hand. Note: Chicken can be made ahead of time, or alongside of soup.
Top Review by Lala
This soup is the best Tortilla Soup recipe I have ever made. The tortillas never seem to incorporate for me, and I am not a big fan of chunks of tomatoes, so I just use my hand blender & blend it a bit before I add the chicken. My family loves it and asks for it all the time.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (dried, reconstituted with warm water)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped (seed if you don't want heat)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder, ground
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons milk (or cream)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Crunchy Tortilla Topping
- 6 small flour tortillas (or corn)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add all chopped peppers cook until soft.
- Add cumin, oregano, red chili pepper, tomatoes.
- Add stock.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in blender.
- Add pureed soup back to soup pot.
- Add chopped chicken to mixture.
- Simmer this for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, and stir until heated through.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt as needed.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4 inch strips and fry them in 1 tablespoons of oil.
- To serve, ladle soup into 4 soup bowls.
- Top with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro.