Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delightful, creamy, with a little kick tortilla soup. No using canned anything here! Easy soup to put together, with items on hand. Note: Chicken can be made ahead of time, or alongside of soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (dried, reconstituted with warm water)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped (seed if you don't want heat)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder, ground
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons milk (or cream)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Crunchy Tortilla Topping
- 6 small flour tortillas (or corn)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add all chopped peppers cook until soft.
- Add cumin, oregano, red chili pepper, tomatoes.
- Add stock.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in blender.
- Add pureed soup back to soup pot.
- Add chopped chicken to mixture.
- Simmer this for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, and stir until heated through.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt as needed.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4 inch strips and fry them in 1 tablespoons of oil.
- To serve, ladle soup into 4 soup bowls.
- Top with tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro.
This soup is the best Tortilla Soup recipe I have ever made. The tortillas never seem to incorporate for me, and I am not a big fan of chunks of tomatoes, so I just use my hand blender & blend it a bit before I add the chicken. My family loves it and asks for it all the time.
This soup was delicious!
Looking at all of your recipes make me say "I wanna come live on Longmeadow Farm"! :) I love this soup!! Again, thanks!