1/2 Photos of Tortilla Soup
1 hr 10 mins
light chicken free version using dried chiles and epizote from cooking light-
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups vertically sliced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 stemmed dried seeded pasilla chiles (or 1 dried ancho)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried crumbled epazote leaves
- 3/4 cup queso fresco
- 1/3 cup cubed peeled avocado
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until golden. Set strips aside.
- 3Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Place onion mixture and tomato in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- 4Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add chiles, and sauté 60 seconds or until fragrant. Remove chiles; cool completely. Remove and discard stems; chop chiles.
- 5Place pan over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, and cook 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick (consistency will resemble tomato paste), stirring frequently. Add broth and epazote; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard solids.
- 6Ladle soup into bowls. Divide the cheese, tortilla strips, and avocado evenly among bowls. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled toasted chile. Serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.4
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth