Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from Super Food Ideas magazine (Feb 2008 issue)
Make and share this Tortilla Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped (sweet red bell pepper)
- 125 g corn kernels, drained, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 415 g diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 4 salsa-flavoured tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomatoes, deseeded, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons onion. Add garlic and remaining onion to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add capsicum, corn and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until capsicum is just tender.
- Stir in diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Add half the coriander(cilantro). Season with salt. Stir to combine.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place a 6cm-deep, 20cm round springform pan on a baking tray.
- Place 1 tortilla in base of pan.
- Spread one-third of the mince mixture over tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers twice with remaining tortillas, mince mixture and cheese, finishing with 1 tortilla.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Set aside for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, combine chopped tomato, reserved onion and coriander in a bowl. Serve pie with tomato mixture.
Made for Spring PAC 2013 - This was fun to make & excellent to eat. The only problem I had was my own as my smallest springform pan was quite a bit larger than the tortillas & I did not realize that ahead of time. BUT the recipe is very cook-friendly & went well, even using the lrg pan. I made 2 sml chgs, but otherwise made the recipe as written. I added black olives to the meat mixture & some corn kernels to the "tomato relish" as the can amt exceeded the recipe amt. There was just enough extra meat mixture to make 1 burrito rollup. The only thing missing was a pitcher of Margaritas & sadly no one in Iceland knows how to make them. Thx for posting this recipe & helping me to revisit my Dallas roots. :)