Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A meaty thick sauce sandwiched between layers of tortillas. Simple salad served on the side.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, dried or fresh chopped
- 16 ounces tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 8 ounces salsa (hotness to taste)
- 6 ounces black olives, sliced
- texas pete (to taste)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef and onion in a heavy skillet.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30-45 minutes .
- In a 2 quart casserole, layer alternately corn tortilla, meat sauce and cheddar cheese until there is no more meat sauce.
- Pour 1/4 cup water down the edge into the bottom and then bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with sour cream and chives.
- Serve with side salad.
This casserole was very easy to prepare and it was simply delicious. I will definetly prepare it again. I did add about a half cup of hot salsa to add a little zing. I would highly recommend it, especially for those who like Mexican food.