Prep1 hr 10 mins
This is something I created when I saw what was left from a bag of corn tortilla chips. Instead of throwing them out, I put them to good use, and I'm glad I did. This added a crunchy coating to chicken breasts, while the inside was nice and moist. You don't have to use corn tortillas if you don't want to. Use any style tortilla chip, or make your own. I've seen fish covered with a tortilla crust, but never chicken. Some call for eggs, flour, etc, but I just used Italian dressing for a marinade, and that was enough moisture to allow the chip mixture to stick. It also cut down on calories, because I used fat-free dressing. If you must use eggs, that's fine too. Play around with it, until you get what you like.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons fat-free Italian salad dressing (or regular, homemade if you wish)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, fresh-grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper (if tortillas are salted, omit the salt)
- nonstick cooking spray
- For marinade: Combine dressing and garlic in a zip bag with chicken.
- Blend marinade and chicken by rolling bag around in between both hands.
- Let it marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator, but it's much better longer.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large zip bag, combine crushed chips, parmesan cheese, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour half tortilla mixture out onto a paper plate for first chicken breast. Take first piece of chicken from the marinade bag, and coat both sides with mixture, pressing it into the meat. Place coated chicken breast on lined/treated sheet pan.
- Repeat above step with other breast.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 5-10 minute.
- Bake for 30-45 min or until chicken is cooked through.
- Coating should be golden brown and juices run clear.
- This would be good served with a tossed, potato or macaroni salad, potato side dish, sliced over a salad, steamed vegetables, etc.
- Note: Preparation time includes time to marinate.