Recipe by ellie_
We enjoyed this simple dish, goes great with salsa and sour cream with a tossed salad Recipe source: Prevention magazine (March 2011)
Top Review by Starrynews
Wonderful variation on lasagna! We loved the flavors - the tomato sauce was just lovely, and it produced a creamy, delicious dish with plenty of sauce. I dolloped with a bit of sour cream and chopped cilantro, but it has plenty of flavor on its own! Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 42
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4.92 ml cumin, ground
- 354.88 ml tomatoes, crushed
- 236.59 ml water
- 113.39 g can green chilies, drained
- 226.79 g package corn tortillas
- 354.88 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with Pam.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add onion, garlic and green pepper and cook stirring until softened (5 minutes). Stir in cumin and cook another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, water and chilies and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened (15 minutes). (I also thought it would be great to add 1 can of chopped black olives).
- Brush 1 side of each tortilla with oil and cut into 1 inch strips -- place on baking sheet and bake until crisp (10 minutes). Set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350-degrees F.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in baking dish and top with half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly -- 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and chopped jalapenos, if desired.