Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a traditional Spanish recipe and is served not only as a dinner dish but as an appetizer as well. You will frequently find it in Tapa bars. As an appetizer it would be cut into 16 pieces. Serve warm or room temperature
- 1 lb potato, unpeeled but well scrubbed,boiled but firm & cooked
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 large bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 5 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- Cut the cooked cooled potatoes in half lengthwise then across into 1/4" half rounds
- In an ovenproof frypan heat oil (medium heat) for 1 minute add salt& pepper, then the sliced potatoes, onion& red pepper, saute for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are brown
- Preheat the broiler, and beat together the eggs, water, flour& paprika.
- Add garlic& oregano to the fry pan for 1 minute- toss as cooking. Pour in the egg mixture and distribute the eggs evenly over the veggies.
- Allow to cook for one minute or until the eggs just start to set.
- Sprinkle the omelette with the cheeses and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Place under the broiler to melt the cheeses completely and finish the eggs setting (2 minutes) Remove from the broiler and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Slide the flat omelette off the pan onto a plate.
- Cut into 4 pieces& serve.
I made this at my spanish themed dinner party and it went over really well. It was a pretty looking dish and a good omelette.