Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of the culinary wonders of Spain- here is my recipe which may or may not be too authentic... When I was there studying abroad, my spanish host mom showed me how to make it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the recipe I wrote went. This is how I make it now, and it turns out pretty great every time! This is the basic recipe- to this you can add meat (like sausage) veggies (like spinach) or more spices (like oregano and basil).
- 4 medium potatoes, washed, peeled
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Add oil to a medium frying pan (the smaller the easier to flip).
- Dice the potatoes into small digit-sized pieces.
- Fry the potatoes, garlic, and onions until they are tender and translucent, respectively.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, scramble them.
- Add the cooked potatoes/onions to the eggs.
- Mix, add your spices of choice.
- Heat the frying pan until it's super hot (with plenty of oil- probably more than you think).
- Add the potato/egg mixture into the pan in a quick motion.
- About 5 seconds later, turn down the heat to medium (you don't want it to burn, just make a nice little crust).
- Cook for 10 minutes or until you smell burning, make sure that the tortilla can move in the pan and is not stuck on the bottom
- THE FUN PART: take a plate that's wider than the pan, place it on top of the pan.
- Put one hand (with a glove) on the plate.
- Use the other hand to grab the pan and with one swift motion, flip the pan so the plate ends up on the bottom and the tortilla on the plate.
- Add more oil to the pan, put the half cooked tortilla back in- this time you'll cook the bottom.
- Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Cut like a pizza, serve hot, cold or room temperature (great with mayonnaise).
Yummy, I bumped up the onion and would add a little more pepper next time. I served it withhttp://www.food.com/recipe/aioli-garlic-mayonnaise-57644
This so was delicious. I used fingerling potatoes that I sliced thinly and didn't peel. I also used two whole eggs and 3 egg whites with about 3/4lb fingerling potatoes. This doesn't need cheese, especially since the potatoes I used had a nice delicate flavor in itself - just a sprinkle of some herbs of your choice if you like
Wonderful! I added some left over diced ham (1/2 cup), and a dash of fresh parsley and red pepper.