1/14 Photos of Tortilla Española (Spanish Potato Omelette)
Chris Beckstrom's Note:
One of the culinary wonders of Spain- here is my recipe which may or may not be too authentic... When I was there studying abroad, my spanish host mom showed me how to make it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the recipe I wrote went. This is how I make it now, and it turns out pretty great every time! This is the basic recipe- to this you can add meat (like sausage) veggies (like spinach) or more spices (like oregano and basil).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add oil to a medium frying pan (the smaller the easier to flip).
- 2Dice the potatoes into small digit-sized pieces.
- 3Fry the potatoes, garlic, and onions until they are tender and translucent, respectively.
- 4Break the eggs into a large bowl, scramble them.
- 5Add the cooked potatoes/onions to the eggs.
- 6Mix, add your spices of choice.
- 7Heat the frying pan until it's super hot (with plenty of oil- probably more than you think).
- 8Add the potato/egg mixture into the pan in a quick motion.
- 9About 5 seconds later, turn down the heat to medium (you don't want it to burn, just make a nice little crust).
- 10Cook for 10 minutes or until you smell burning, make sure that the tortilla can move in the pan and is not stuck on the bottom
- 11THE FUN PART: take a plate that's wider than the pan, place it on top of the pan.
- 12Put one hand (with a glove) on the plate.
- 13Use the other hand to grab the pan and with one swift motion, flip the pan so the plate ends up on the bottom and the tortilla on the plate.
- 14Add more oil to the pan, put the half cooked tortilla back in- this time you'll cook the bottom.
- 15Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- 16Cut like a pizza, serve hot, cold or room temperature (great with mayonnaise).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Española (Spanish Potato Omelette)
Serving Size: 1 (1101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 56.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g