I do not like chicken, and get tired of picking it out of chicken based soups. So I came up with this version of tortilla soup, which I love. It is hearty and you can use more or less of the ingredients, to taste. This is definitely easily adaptable. You can add zucchini, black beans, etc.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red peppers (or a mixture) or 1⁄2 cup green peppers (or a mixture) or 1⁄2 cup yellow pepper, diced (or a mixture)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup white rice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock (or a mix of both) or 4 cups vegetable stock (or a mix of both)
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- crema (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- avocado, slices (optional)
- queso fresco (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
- onion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On stovetop heat a large pot on med high add butter and oil, add onion, peppers, rice, and cumin, stirring until well coated.
- Add stock and bring to bubbling, lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add 1 cup salsa, chipotles, and 1 cup corn.
- Cook 10 minutes more.
- Ad lime juice, cilantro and and stir.
- For tortilla chips:.
- Spray a baking sheet and spray 4 tortillas with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin, slice into strips and bake in the oven for 5 minutes if using flour tortillas, 10 minutes if using corn tortillas.
- Place several strips over soup.
- Garnish with crema, avocado, salsa, hot sauce, etc to taste.