Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The residents fell in love with these and it was a pleasure to watch and listen to them -- they didn't know what it was and we kept them guessing! Issue 63, Cuisine at Home.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups tortilla chips, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed
BUTTERMILK BATTER (use 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
CREAMY GUACAMOLE DIP
- 1 avocado, pitted & peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- MAKE THE DIP FIRST -- SO THAT IT CAN CHILL:.
- Mash avocado with lime juice in a bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, then salt to taste.
- Chill before serving.
- BUTTERMILK BATTER:.
- Whisk all batter ingredients together in a bowl until there are no lumps.
- Prepare the batter just before you need it. However, it's okay if it sits 5-10 minutes.
- GREEN BEANS:.
- HEAT 1-1/2-2" of oil to 375ºF in a saucepan.
- Process crushed chips in a food processor until fine(to make 1 cup).
- Combine processed chips, panko, salt and cayenne in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Coat 1/4 of the beans in the prepare batter.
- Transfer to the bag and shake until well coated; repeat with remaining beans.
- Fry beans in hot oil for 1-2 minutes, or until golden.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, season with salt and serve with guacamole dip.