Recipe by ItalianMama
Don't throw out your broken or stale tortilla chips - use them to make cornbread! I love this with honey butter (try Whipped Honey Butter With Varieties!). NOTE: this recipe uses salted chips. If you are using unsalted chips, you will need to add 1/2 tsp. salt to your dry ingredients.
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn tortilla chips, finely crushed (see note)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: pulse tortilla chips in a blender or food processor to get them finely crushed. It's okay if they aren't as finely crushed as cornmeal; just get them as small as you can.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter/margarine, milk and egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir just until combined. Mixture may be slightly lumpy. Pour batter into a greased 8x8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.