Recipe by Tornado Ali
This recipe is from the August issue of "Cuisine at Home." Their recipes are GREAT. A little bit spice, a little bit cool...this hits the spot.
Top Review by Nanners
My husband and I really liked this! I used thin sliced chicken tenders, so I just sauteed them and skipped the baking, making that part very quick. The chicken was flavorful - salty, spicy and crispy. However, I thought the avocado dip was a bit bland, so I jazzed it up by adding a couple garlic cloves to the processor along with some salt. This did the trick. I warmed the sauce in the microwave before serving as my husband likes his food hot. I served the chicken over a bed of couscous, with the sauce on top. Some chopped tomatoes sprinkled on top would also have been good. Thanks - I'll be making this one again!!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6-8oz. each)
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces plain tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup purchased bottled salsa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1⁄2 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare breast halves by trimming fat and slicing each in half lengthwise.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pulse tortilla chips in a food processor until coarsely ground; transfer to a shallow dish. Place flour in a second shallow dish, and in a third shallow dish, blend egg and salsa together with a fork.
- Dredge both sides of chicken in flour, then dip into egg mixture to coat. Transfer chicken to ground chips and pat them onto both sides; place on a baking sheet or plate.
- Heat oil in an overproof saute pan over medium-high. Saute chicken 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully flip chicken, thenplace thepan in the oven to roast for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While chicken is roasting, puree avocado, milk, and sour cream in a food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Serve chicken with dip.