Recipe by bmcnichol
This is a versatile dinner. Nothing gourmet - just cheap, fast and easy. You can substitute what you have on hand. Don’t have kidney beans- I have use cannellini beans or black beans. Only have a ½ pound of ground beef- that works too- just add an extra can of beans. My family loves this.
Top Review by Lainey39
My family really enjoyed this casserole. It's very simple to put together and makes a satisfying dinner along with some rice on the side. I used extra-lean ground beef and baked tortilla chips. I thought I had tomato sauce but I was out so I substituted enchilada sauce and that worked well. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheese (mexican blend or cheddar)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground beef until done and drain.
- Combine beans, seasonings, and tomato sauce in the skillet with the meat.
- Stir and simmer it for a few minutes.
- When hot, place in a 9" by 13" pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with tortilla chips.
- Push some of the chips down into the meat mixture (but not all the chips as they will get soggy).
- Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- We like to serve ours on a bed of lettuce. topped with salsa and sour cream.