Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom used to make this for us all the time when I was growing up. It is one of the first recipes I made by myself--easy and tasty.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups cooked chicken, , chunked
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Caot a 1 1/2 to 3 quart casserole with nonstick spray.
- Saute onion in butter until transparent; add tomato sauce, chilies, oregano and salt.
- Simmer sauce, uncovered for 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- Layer in the casserole dish, in order, half the following: tortilla chips, jack cheese, chicken and sauce.
- Repeat with the other half of each.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Remove from oven and spread sour cream over top; wreath with grated cheese.
- Broil just until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
This was very easy to make, though I was unsure whether to crumble the tortilla chips or not (so I didn't). The family was pleased. A definate make again.