Recipe by Mysterygirl
This recipe is based upon one that I got from Land o Lakes, however I have modified it to suit my tastes.
Top Review by ColCadsMom
I made this as written, except I omitted the jalapeno pepper (kiddos wouldn't have eaten it.) This is the first Tortilla soup I've ever made that was blended. I also like black beans in chicken tortilla soup, but didn't miss them in this recipe. I think the fresh lime juice and cilantro are really what made a HUGE difference. It took a while to put together, but was well worth the time. I will make this again!
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 fat free tortillas (10 inch)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded,chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Brush 1 tablespoon melted butter on both sides of each tortilla.
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until crunchy.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan until sizzling; add onion, jalapeño, garlic and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is softened.
- Add broth and tomatoes and continue cooking until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add 10 of the baked tortilla strips to the soup.
- Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Place 2 cups soup in 5-cup blender container or food processor bowl.
- Cover, blend on Low until smooth about 60 seconds.
- Repeat with remaining soup.
- Heat chicken in microwave till hot.
- Add chicken breasts to bowls and cover with soup.
- To serve, top soup with remaining tortilla strips, shredded cheese and cilantro.