Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This soup is easy, delicious, and healthy! If you don't have the corn tortillas, it's good without.
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 7 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced (, about 3 medium)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 (5 1/4 ounce) canschopped green chilies, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, seeded
- 4 6-inch tortillas, cut into triangles
- low-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onion and celery to pot and sauté for 5 minutes (or until tender).
- In the meantime, coarsely chop (or tear) the chicken.
- Add garlic to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water and broth, bring to boil.
- Then stir in the chicken and corn.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, green chiles, and jalapeno pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45+ minutes.
- Stir in tortillas.
- Top with sour cream.
This was really good, and very spicy- not to mention simple!