Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This soup is easy, delicious, and healthy! If you don't have the corn tortillas, it's good without.
Make and share this Tortilla chicken soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 7 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced (, about 3 medium)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 (5 1/4 ounce) canschopped green chilies, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, seeded
- 4 6-inch tortillas, cut into triangles
- low-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onion and celery to pot and sauté for 5 minutes (or until tender).
- In the meantime, coarsely chop (or tear) the chicken.
- Add garlic to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water and broth, bring to boil.
- Then stir in the chicken and corn.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, green chiles, and jalapeno pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45+ minutes.
- Stir in tortillas.
- Top with sour cream.
This was really good, and very spicy- not to mention simple!