Mary Anne's Note:
This soup is easy, delicious, and healthy! If you don't have the corn tortillas, it's good without.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 7 1/2 cups onions, sliced (, about 3 medium)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 (5 1/4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, seeded
- 4 6-inch tortillas, cut into triangles
- low-fat sour cream
- 1Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the chicken and cook until browned on each side.
- 3Remove chicken from pan.
- 4Add onion and celery to pot and sauté for 5 minutes (or until tender).
- 5In the meantime, coarsely chop (or tear) the chicken.
- 6Add garlic to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- 7Stir in water and broth, bring to boil.
- 8Then stir in the chicken and corn.
- 9Stir in the chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, green chiles, and jalapeno pepper.
- 10Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45+ minutes.
- 11Stir in tortillas.
- 12Top with sour cream.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla chicken soup
Serving Size: 1 (724 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.4
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 94.8 mg
- Sodium 1217.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth