Recipe by Ambervim
If you need something you can make quickly from your pantry with a great result, this is it! The heat can be ratcheted up or toned down to your liking. It is healthy, tasty, easy, scratch and a crowd pleaser.
Top Review by Bev
This recipe is a great starter recipe showing all the right ingredients for a wonderful soup. The right addition of spices would make this perfect. I used a large jalapeño and added in salt and pepper but it needed something more to spice it up. I am considering the next time I make it to add in some taco seasoning. Some great toppings in addition to the sour cream and tortilla chips may include shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, chopped tomato & a slice of avocado.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I use green, any will work)
- 1 hot pepper, minced (Serrano, jalapeno, whatever you have or want to use)
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes with juice (plus or minus depending on can size or fresh yeild)
- 30 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained (plus or minus, from a can or start dried and cook first which would, obviously increase your prep ti)
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- 10 ounces corn kernels (fresh or frozen best)
- coarse salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed (more for garnish if you want)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (lemon will do fine, wedges for garnish if you want)
- sour cream (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, hot pepper and chili powder and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, corn and 1 cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and add tortilla chips. Cook until softened (just a couple minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper if it needs it.
- Serve with either lime wedges or sour cream -- maybe add some more crunchy chips -- all are optional.