Recipe by twissis
An incredibly low cal, low fat & yummy good idea I originated in a creative moment. It is sooo easy to do & versatile. Works as a breakfast or brunch item or dessert after a Tex-Mex type meal. It invites variations & is popular with kids & adults. Enjoy!
Top Review by Trixyinaz
This was just okay. Word of advise, before filling your tortillas, wrap them up in a wet paper towel and place in the microwave for 10 seconds. This will soften them and allow you to fold the tortillas without them splitting or breaking at the seams. My tortillas were bought just for this recipe so the bag wasn't even open yet and the first one I made crumbled when I folded it around the bananas. (no fault of the recipe). The second one was much better. I think I would have liked it much better if I put the cream cheese mixture inside the tortilla with the bananas and just topped it after frying with the straberries. I felt the tortilla did a diservice to the meal - just didn't add any flavor. When my daughter saw it on her plate, her first instinct was to pick it up and eat it like a burrito - what a MESS! After a couple bites, she refused to eat anymore. She said, "Don't Like." which is weird b/c she LOVES flour toritillas, bananas, cream cheese and strawberries. I like the combo of ingredients, but next time I will use crepes instead of tortillas.
- 2 firm bananas (not overly ripe or green)
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 12 large strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cream cheese (room temp)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems & puree strawberries with 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Combine room temp low-fat cream cheese with 1 tbsp powdered sugar & set aside.
- Peel & halve the bananas, then split each half again -- but lengthwise.
- Begin to assemble the tortilla wraps by 1st placing 2 banana quarters side-by-side in the center of ea flour tortilla.
- Fold the 2 side edges of the tortillas over to encircle the banana halves.
- Fold the open ends in slightly & then the entire end back over any exposed tortilla edges to form a wrap with all edges on 1 side.
- Place the wraps (exposed edges down) in a dry skillet & brown the tortilla over med heat, turning several times. (The 1st browning will "seal" the edge side & keep the tortillas in a uniform shape as you continue to brown.).
- Transfer tortillas to dessert plates. Spoon 1/4 of the strawberry puree over each tortilla & 1/4 of the cream cheese in the center. Serve warm.
- NOTE: This dish was created for a friend & written to be low-fat. You can dress it up by adding choc chips &/or nuts to the inside of the wrap w/the bananas or other options your imagination might envision.