Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is so good, and different from other tortilla pies because it does not have tomatoes in it. I made it several times last summer while sweet corn was in season. If you want, top the finished pie with salsa, sour cream, or any other typical taco or burrito ingredients you want. I like it just the way it is. From Everyday Food Issue #6. The original recipe calls for a 9 inch springform pan, which allows the pie to be released when it's done, but I just use a round cake pan and serve it straight from the pan.
- 4 flour tortillas, 10 inch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 chili pepper, remove seeds as desired to control heat
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Trim tortillas (if necessary) with a knife to fit inside a round cake pan; Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, chili pepper, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add beans and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir in corn and onion, and remove from heat.
- Place one tortilla in the cake pan and layer with 1/4 of the bean mixture and a 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat 3 more times, except use 1 cup of cheese on the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until everything is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Let stand for a few minutes before cutting.
This recipe is in one of Martha Stewart's cookbooks too, only she suggests using 14 oz of beer instead of the water. It's excellent. I also added some shredded chicken just because I had it on hand. This is so much better than the sum of the ingredietns.
Good weeknight recipe that I will make again. I made this with leftovers from July 4th festivities. I used pinto beans instead of black beans and I only had 3 whole wheat tortillas leftover from making breakfast tacos for houseguests. So I substituted the 'bottom of the bag' tortilla chips for the 4th tortilla. Turned out great.
This has been in my online cookbook forEVER. I don't know what on earth took me so long to make this. It's really good. So filling, one 1/4 of the pie is enough for me, and I have a huge appetite. Made exactly as written except I used whole grain tortillas- they fit in a round cake pan perfecto, and I served from the pan. Also, I only had enough space for 3 tortillas, which is fine. The corn is so sweet with the creamy beans. It's just a simple and delicious recipe. Really enjoyed it. Thanks.