Recipe by janem123
I adapted this recipe many years ago from a booklet produced by Pace Picante Sauce. In the booklet, credit for the recipe is given to Ina Colfelt of Westminster, Maryland. This is a tasty meatless entree.
Top Review by Sierra Silver
This was amazing. Nice and spicy, but not too hot. I used more Picante suace than the recipe stated, as I could only find fourteen ounce cans. Next time, I think I'll try using black beans as well as kidney beans.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red bell peppers or 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup Pace Picante Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese
garnishes such as
- sliced tomatoes
- sour cream
- hot pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, combine onion, green bell pepper or red bell pepper, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic, and cumin. Heat to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- In a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish, spread 1/3 of the bean mixture.
- Top bean layer with 6 tortillas, overlapping tortillas to fit the dimensions of dish, Layer 1 cup of the cheese over the tortillas.
- Layer another 1/3 of the bean mixture, remaining tortillas, and then remaining bean mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot.
- Uncover and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Continue baking 5 more minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Top with garnishes of choice.