1/3 Photos of Tortilla and Bean Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
I adapted this recipe many years ago from a booklet produced by Pace Picante Sauce. In the booklet, credit for the recipe is given to Ina Colfelt of Westminster, Maryland. This is a tasty meatless entree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell peppers or 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup Pace Picante Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese
garnishes such as
- 1In a large skillet, combine onion, green bell pepper or red bell pepper, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic, and cumin. Heat to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in beans.
- 3In a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish, spread 1/3 of the bean mixture.
- 4Top bean layer with 6 tortillas, overlapping tortillas to fit the dimensions of dish, Layer 1 cup of the cheese over the tortillas.
- 5Layer another 1/3 of the bean mixture, remaining tortillas, and then remaining bean mixture.
- 6Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot.
- 7Uncover and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Continue baking 5 more minutes.
- 8Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 9Top with garnishes of choice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla and Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.3
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 1530.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 26.3 g