Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in an old booklet by Barilla brand pasta. I'd had it forever, when I came across it, and found quite a few gems! This is really great, simple too! This is great when you just want something simple but full of flavor.Tortiglioni is a little larger around than penne and is ribbed so that the salmon and other ingredients will get "collected" in the nooks and crannies!
- 2 (8 ounce) salmon steaks, about 1-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill (dried will work, but adjust accordingly)
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced wedges
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb tortiglioni
- 1 cup reserved pasta-cooking water
- Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle the salmon steaks generously with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon fresh dill.
- Broil until salmon is browned, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully turn and broil until cooked throughout, about 2 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Remove the skin and bone.
- Break the salmon into 1-inch chunks.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion in the olive oil in a covered, large deep skillet over medium-low heat until golden(caramelized), about 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in plenty of boiling, salted water until firm to the bite.
- Ladle out 1 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid.
- Remove from the heat and add 1 cup of cold water to stop the cooking; drain.
- Add pasta to the skillet and mix with the caramelized onion and as much of the pasta-cooking liquid as needed to keep the mixture moist.
- Add the salmon and the remaining lemon juice and dill.