Moron is a city in the provice of Camaguey, Cuba. These cookies are from Mary Urrutia Randelman's "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen". The cooking time includes chilling and baking.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and shortening thoroughly, using a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the remaining ingredients, blending with your hands.
- Form the dough into a roll about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap the roll in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/4 inch slices and place them on a lightly greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- With your finger, make a small depression in the center of each cookie.
- Bake until lightly browned, 20-25 minutes.
- Stored in a tightly covered tin, the cookies will keep for one week.
I have been looking for a recipe for these since I picked them up from a Cuban bakery in Tampa. I LOVE THESE. Next time I make them, I'll try a tad bit more vegetable shortening, and a little less flour as I couldn't get the dough to stay together in a roll. Thanks so much for sharing!