Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In '1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 cups coarsely chopped wild mushrooms (portobello, crimini, shiitake)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine (medium sweet) or 2 tablespoons marsala wine (medium sweet)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesfresh cheese tortellini
- In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the shallots; cook, stirring, until tender, about 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, Madeira, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer uncovered, 10 minutes.
- In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over med-high heat.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed.
- Stir in the mushrooms and broth; cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and Parmesan cheese; add the parsley; stir to combine.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl or individual bowls; add the mushroom sauce.