Recipe by Rita~
A Turkey dinner! Yes! Turkey sausage with butternut, apples, onions and cranberries. Flavored with crisp sage and garlic. For a quick and easy method look here Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!. The sausage can be removed from the casing and crumbled and cooked.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
I made this for dinner tonight using fresh pumpkin puree. While it was good, it was a little on the sweet side for my family. I probably won't be making it again, but if I did I would use a spicy sausage and maybe replace the apple juice with broth or some wine.
- 1 lb turkey sausage (Hot or mild)
- olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 small apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup pureed butternut squash or 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 lbs cheese tortellini, cooked accord to package
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large hot frying pan with non stick spray. Place links in and cook for 15 minutes till brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In pan add olive oil and brown sage leaves till crisp and remove all set 6 aside fro garnish. Crumble 2 leaves.
- Add additional oil if needed to saute the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring to remove the brown bits of goodness from pan, add apple slices, the 2 crumbled sage leaves, garlic and seasoned salt, cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
- Add apple juice and cranberries to onion mixture, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile slice sausage.
- Stir the butternut and cream into the onion mixture.
- Add sausage stir and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Toss cooked tortellini in to sausage mixture add some pasta water if needed to thin sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with sage leaves.