Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from an old milk calendar. If you use cheese tortellini, it makes a tasty vegetarian meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb fresh tortellini or 3⁄4 lb frozen tortellini
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- To make tomato sauce, melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Cook onion and garlc until tender.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To make Parmesan/mushroom sauce, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook mushrooms and green onions until tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Stir into Parmesan/mushroom sauce.
- Pour tomato sauce into a 2L (2QT) shallow baking dish.
- Spoon tortellini mixture over tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and golden.
Nice casserole! I also used the tri color cheese filled tortellini (from Costco) as the other reviewer did. Tasted even better the second day! Will make again for sure.
Very good. I used tri color cheese filled tortellini. Just enough for 2 people with a bit leftover for one lunch serving. :)