Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had an extra can of pumpkin pie left over from Thanksgiving, and when I saw this recipe, I knew I just had to try it. We love my Pumpkin Ravioli With Sage Butter Sauce, BUT the pumpkin ravioli that I like to use from Whole Foods are SO EXPENSIVE!! Here's a simple and affordable alternative! This recipe was adapted from an online cookbook put out by Barilla pasta.
- 1⁄2 lb sweet butter
- 8 fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin pie filling
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Place butter and sage leaves (or ground sage) in a sauté pan over medium high heat and cook until butter just turns golden brown.
- Add the pumpkin pie filling, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Whisk gently until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook tortellini in boiling salted water according to package directions, drain, and toss into sauté pan with warm sauce.
- Place pasta and sauce over medium heat and toss until well coated.
- Remove from heat, toss with Parmesan cheese and serve.
YUM! I cut the butter in half and thinned the sauce out with some of the salted pasta water. It was wonderful! Perfect for the first few days of fall!
I'm a pumpkin fan, so when I saw this recipe I had to try it. I halved the butter, added extra pumpkin mix and then added olive oil and water in at the end to compensate for the butter liquid. Since I changed the proportions so much, I'm not going to rate this with stars, but it was good. I'd leave out the brown sugar next time because it was on the sweet side. Thanks for a nontraditional recipe using pumpkin pie mix!
This was very delicious. However, there are too many calories. I might try to increase the pumpkin and decrease the butter next time.