Recipe by Gagoo
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
WOW, what is not to love dish, this is AMAZING! I mixed the heavy cream with whole milk, used at least 1/2 C or more of parmesan-reggiano cheese, and a good tablespoon of fresh sage (chiffonade) added along with the parmesan. A healthy pinch of nutmeg. The flavor of the pumpkin is somewhat subtle but not lacking. You may need a sprinkle of salt table side. This is outstanding and company worthy. Served with buttered peas. Thanks for posting Doogster. YUM!
- kosher salt
- 2 (9 ounce) packages cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin, canned (pure)
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for topping)
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and nutmeg, cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low; simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and cook until thick, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tortellini to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed.
- Divide among bowls and top with more cheese and parsley.