Recipe by cricketbird
This is a wonderful, quick recipe. I found this in the Daily News paper many, many years ago, and it's still a favorite. Although this is the original recipe as I found it, it does double very easily, which helped when my kids got older and ate more! When I'm really in a rush, I have left out the ham and walnuts, and have added frozen peas instead to the tortellini during the last few minutes that it's boiling.
- 1 lb meat-filled tortellini
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons basil, dried
- 1⁄3 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. If you choose to add frozen peas, add just a few minutes before tortellini is done.
- Meanwhile, place cream or milk, basil, Miracle Whip, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper into blender or food processor.
- Cover and process until smooth.
- Blend in egg yolk.
- Drain tortellini, return to pot.
- Add basil sauce, ham, and walnuts, toss well.
- Cook over low heat until heated through.