Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I can never get enough macaroni and cheese and this updated version is adapted from the restaurant "Signatures" in Washington, DC.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I use tortellini) or 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen white corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni/tortellini in large pot of boiling water until tender, but still firm to bite.
- Preheat broiler.
- Butter a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet (with bacon drippings).
- Sauteed until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add shallots and garlic and saute about 5 minutes (until golden).
- Add macaroni, cream, and corn and toss until sauce coats macaroni, abut 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, and bacon.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Broil until brown, about 3 minutes (don't let burn).
YUM-O! I will add more bacon next time to add just a little more flavor. Thanks!
Very nice dish. I used try colored tortellini. Shitake was unavailable, so used button. Since white corn is non existent in my town, I had to use regular yellow. :)
This was great! My picky eaters loved it! I browned some ground beef in a seperate skillet and added the cooked gr. beef at step 10. when adding the bacon too. My hubby's request since he's a big guy and he was sure bacon wouldn't suffice alone =/ This was soo good!!! No shataki mushrooms here so used regular white ones and sliced em' up real good and added double the corn and the parm. cheese...we love that stuff in my house. A+ Thanks a bunch!