1/2 Photos of Tortellini With Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is a super quick, yet very tasty pasta supper. I didn't add any extra olive oil to my sauce, but rather used the oil that was clinging to the sundried tomatoes after they were drained. If your tomatoes are not canned or jarred with basil leaves like mine are, please feel free to add some more fresh basil according to your taste. Also, you may use 1 pound of your favorite tortellini. I use cheese filled to keep this vegetarian, but tri-colored or meat filled will make a nice substitution
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand or wooden spoon
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained a bit, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- fresh grated pecorino romano cheese, for serving
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 2Heat a large deep skillet or saucepan over medium/medium high heat.
- 3Add sun dried tomatoes and saute for about 30 seconds.
- 4Next, add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 45 more seconds, careful not to let the garlic burn.
- 5Add tomatoes and stir together.
- 6Let sauce come to a boil, reduce heat to low, then cover and let simmer while pasta water comes to a boil.
- 7Boil pasta according to package directions (about 6-8 minutes).
- 8While pasta finishes cooking, add spinach to the sauce.
- 9I end up using about 1/2 of a 10 oz bag.
- 10Give spinach leaves a stir and then place lid back on the sauce to let the leaves wilt slightly.
- 11As pasta finishes cooking, ladle a couple scoops of sauce into serving bowl.
- 12Drain tortellini, and add to bowl with a couple more ladles of sauce overtop.
- 13Toss to combine.
- 14I always have some sauce left over which I keep on the side for dunking in bread.
- 15Top tortellini with grated cheese and serve!
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortellini With Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.5
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 762.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 18.8 g