Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good comfort soup, especially on a chilly or snowy night... It's like a 'warm your soul' soup.
- 1⁄2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (2tsp)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (21 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 7 1⁄4 ounces cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce or 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 1⁄2 ounces cheese-filled egg tortellini
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, picante sauce and basil; bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini; simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper; continue to simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Our family loves this soup! I lost the recipe and was so happy to find something like my original here. I add whatever veggies I have on hand. I also add extra salsa. I cook my tortellini separately and only add whatever I am sure we are going to eat, b/c I don't like mushy pasta. I like to keep a container of tortellini and a container of soup in the fridge for weekday lunches.
By far one of my favorite soup recipes of all time. It's so simple and is excellent on a chilly night. I usually double the tortellini or my BF ends up picking them all out and keeping them for himself. Even makes excellent leftovers!
This was indeed flavorful, but it tasted more like a sauce to me - I think I may try this again with some beef or chicken added and serve it over tortellini as a sauce rather than serve as a soup. Thanks for posting an interesting combination!