Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "The Good Carb Cookbook", posted for safe-keeping Note: for variety, substitute 1 1/2 cups of diced roasted chicken for the beans.
- 5 cups no-salt-added chicken broth or 5 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini or 3 cups refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 15 ounces navy beans or 15 ounces white beans, rinsed and drained
- Place the broth or water, bouillon granules, onion, carrot, garlic, and white pepper in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pot from heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender. Pour about 1 cup of the broth into blender. Carefully blend the mixture at low speed, leaving the lid slightly ajar (to allow steam to escape) until the vegetables are pureed. Pour the blended vegetable mixture back into the pot.
- Return the pot to the heat and bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and the beans and let the mixture return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for about 4 minutes or until the tortellini are almost done.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for a minute or two or until the tortellini are just done and the spinach is wilted. (Be careful not to overcook, as the tortellini will continue to soften as long as it remains in the hot brother.) Serve hot.