Recipe by flower7
I copied this recipe from a vegetarian cookbook many years ago and I just came across it again today. It is such a wonderful salad - I love spinach and cheese tortellini but the dressing is what really makes it stand out.
Top Review by J-Lynn
We LOVED this meal! The salad has a wonderful Asian flair, and it served the 2 of us for 3 meals! (I just add enough of the pasta mixture to the right amount of spinach each time.)
In the dressing, I cut back the oil to 1/4 cup and increased the soy sauce (I couldn't find tamari) by 1 Tbsp. I thought these changes made the perfect flavor.
I've never used sesame oil before, and none of the bottles at the store specified 'toasted'; it is wonderfully fragrant however, and really makes this dish!
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 bell pepper, cut in thin strips (yellow, orange or red)
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄3 cup slivered red onion
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (see note)
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed, dried and torn in small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dressing ingredients (oil through black pepper) in a jar, shaking to combine (or whisk together in a small bowl).
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, being sure not to overcook. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir the bell pepper, tomato and onion with the tortellini. Pour half of the dressing over and toss well.
- Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. (Cover and chill if longer than 1 hour. Bring to room temperature before serving.).
- Just before serving, stir the spinach into the tortellini mixture. Pour on the remaining dressing and toss well. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and toss again.
- *Note: To toast sesame seeds, place in a small, dry skillet and toast over medium heat until they begin to pop and smoke slightly, about 3 minutes. Let cool. Be careful not to burn them!