Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a filling and really good soup - with garlic bread and a light salad it's light,simple,great summer meal. I copied the recipe a couple years ago from the Houston Chronicle - when I was looking for something to use up extra squash and zucchini from the garden.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 8 -9 ounces cheese tortellini or 8 -9 ounces cheese ravioli (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup rinsed drained canned garbanzo beans
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook carrots, onions, celery, garlic, basi, salt and pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and tomatoes; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini, garbanzo beans, squash, zucchini.
- Simmer until tortellini are tender but firm (about 10 minutes).
Yum! This is such an easy, quick and nutritious dinner or lunch with friends. My kids liked it too and like most kids are pretty picky. We put some leftover rotisserie chicken in it for some added meaty flavor. Will definitely make again.
Everyone in the family liked, which is saying a lot. We used 4 cups of chicken broth because that is 2 cans. Turned out fine.
Very enjoyable soup! I made it just as it was. I think next time I may add some frozen Italian Green Beans and a little oregano, as this soup had an Italian flavor to it. I will be making this soup again. Easy and healthy. Thank you.